Well, it’s that time of year again. It’s Valentine’s Day, the day when couples across the globe come together in a Hallmark-approved celebration of their love and bitter singles like me feel strangely compelled to remind everyone of the fakeness of the holiday and how if you really love somebody you don’t need a special holiday to make you show it. The central dilemma of Valentine’s Day is the conflict between true love and obligation – if you put on some big romantic display on this day of all days, are you really doing it because you love your partner or because you feel like that’s what you’re supposed to do every February 14th?
I don’t know, maybe I just look at Valentine’s Day this way because I’ve been single for it every year, so I feel like I’ve always been on the outside looking in and don’t know what it’s like to share it with someone. The highlight of my Valentine’s Day every year is getting my Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue in the mail, the exception being last year because that’s the day Radiohead announced that The King Of Limbs would be coming out later that week.
But we’re not here to talk about any of that stuff, are we? Of course not! We’re here to count down my top 5 favorite love songs in honor of Obligatory Love Day. The fun begins as soon as you click “Read the rest of this page”!
Hey everyone. In an attempt to lighten the mood of this blog somewhat after the last post’s journey into the realm of scary music (not to mention the darker reaches of my imagination), here’s the playlist from my Valentine’s Day special on Feb. 13, 2009.
1. Jimi Hendrix, “Foxey Lady” (Experience Hendrix: The Best Of Jimi Hendrix)
2. Blur, “Coffee & TV” (13)
3. The Smashing Pumpkins, “Cupid De Locke” (Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness)
4. Spoon, “Finer Feelings” (Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga)
5. Daft Punk, “Something About Us” (Discovery)
6. The Fall Of Troy, “Quarter Past” (Manipulator)
7. The Darkness, “I Believe In A Thing Called Love” (Permission To Land)
8. We Are Scientists, “Lethal Enforcer” (Brain Thrust Mastery)
9. Coldplay, “Yellow” (Parachutes)
10. The Police, “Next To You” (Outlandos d’Amour)
11. Green Day, “Extraordinary Girl” (American Idiot)
12. Queens Of The Stone Age, “In My Head” (Lullabies To Paralyze)
13. Foo Fighters, “Big Me” (Foo Fighters)
14. The Strokes, “12:51” (Room On Fire)
15. Cake, “Short Skirt/Long Jacket” (Comfort Eagle)
16. Bloc Party, “Sunday” (A Weekend In The City)
17. Minus The Bear, “Pachuca Sunrise” (Menos El Oso)
18. Muse, “Unintended” (Showbiz)
19. Radiohead, “All I Need” (In Rainbows)
20. My Morning Jacket, “Knot Comes Loose” (Z)
21. Garbage, “Milk” (Garbage)
22. The Beatles, “Something” (Abbey Road)
23. Snow Patrol, “Grazed Knees” (Final Straw)
24. Weezer, “Across The Sea” (Pinkerton)
25. The Beach Boys, “God Only Knows” (Pet Sounds)
26. U2, “All I Want Is You” (Rattle & Hum)
27. Peter Gabriel, “In Your Eyes” (So)