Lately I’ve noticed that my Colin’s Collection posts have become increasingly tough to write because I’ve been trying to add little blurbs to the list about the band or the album or whatever. The thing is, sometimes that leaves me having trouble finding something to say about albums I haven’t listened to enough yet. So for now I think I’ll go back to the old style of just listing the albums, only with some videos from the albums in question.
The list comes up after the jump, but for now here are some recent or upcoming albums I’d like to get my hands on…
Foo Fighters, “Rope” (from Wasting Light)
Elbow, “Neat Little Rows” (from Build A Rocket Boys!)
TV On The Radio, “Will Do” (from Nine Types Of Light)
Hey there you all! It’s been a pretty long time since the last time I wrote a Colin’s Collection post. How long, you ask? So long ago that I hadn’t even come up with the Colin’s Collection series idea yet. Or When Bad Songs Happen To Good Bands, for that matter. Picks Of The Week didn’t exist yet either.
Granted, those are all fairly recent additions to this li’l website, but still… just in case you’re curious what my recent musical acquisitions have been, here you go!
- Got this after seeing them open for Mastodon in Washington, DC back in May. Kylesa was pretty kick-ass as well.
Pavement: Crooked Rain Crooked Rain (L.A.’s Desert Origins), Terror Twilight
- Fun fact: Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood can be heard playing harmonica on two tracks from Terror Twilight. Is there anything that guy can’t play?
Silversun Pickups: Swoon
- My opinion from Picks Of The Week numero uno has not changed. “Panic Switch” still rules.
Thrice: The Alchemy Index Vols. III & IV: Air & Earth
- Kudos to the guys from Thrice for their handling of their new album Beggars being leaked online. Some people push back the release date of their albums. Axl Rose sued the guy who leaked Chinese Democracy. Thrice pushed the release date forward, making it available on iTunes as of… right now, actually, and rescheduling the physical release for September 15 with five bonus tracks.
Band Of Horses: Everything All The Time
- These guys get compared to My Morning Jacket a lot. And My Morning Jacket are great, so I don’t see anything wrong with that.
Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not
- Speaking of the Monkeys… their new album Humbug drops in a couple weeks. My dad’s band played “When The Sun Goes Down” at a party I went to recently, which was pretty cool. “He’s a scumbag, don’tcha know…”
British Sea Power: Do You Like Rock Music?
- Yes, I do. I especially like “Lights Out For Darker Skies,” which was one of my Picks Of The Week last week.
Green Day: 21st Century Breakdown
- Saw these guys in Philly back on July 21. It was a ton of fun, from the mock exorcism during “East Jesus Nowhere” to the fan being brought on stage to play “Jesus Of Suburbia.”
Gojira: From Mars To Sirius
- Think of these guys as the French Mastodon. And I love Mastodon.
Cave In: Antenna, Tides Of Tomorrow EP
- Still on the lookout for Jupiter and Perfect Pitch Black at the moment. “Come Into Your Own” was also a recent Pick Of The Week.
Modest Mouse: We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
- They just released a new 8-track EP called No One’s First, And You’re Next. The songs are all B-sides from their last two albums.
I’m pretty sure that covers all the recent additions to Colin’s Collection. So much good music out there, and so little money to spend on it… but I guess that’s why people are always on the lookout for free downloads, huh?