Oh man. I am going to hate myself so much for doing this. But not right away. I’m going to hate myself while I’m lying in bed tonight trying and failing to fall asleep.
You see, Halloween is just around the corner so I figured I would do some kind of Halloween special, or at least the Internet blog equivalent of one. The question was what I was actually going to do. I’ve already done a post about the scariest songs in my collection, and since I’m doing my Top 5 lists in the same order in which they appeared on my show, the Top 5 Songs To Scare Trick-Or-Treaters Away From Your House is still a long way off.
And then it hit me: Do a post about the Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark series.
October 28, 2011 | Categories: Life, Off On A Rant | Tags: Alvin Schwartz, Halloween, illustrations, More Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, nightmare fuel, Scary Stories 3: More Tales To Chill Your Bones, Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark, Stephen Gammell | 58 Comments
(originally aired on Nov. 7, 2008 — the Halloween special)
Hi, everybody! (Hi, Dr. Nick!)
Did you all have a fun and romantic Valentine’s Day? Did you get to spend some quality time with your sweetheart? Take him/her out to dinner, maybe see a movie, trade cutesy little gifts, that sort of thing? Are you still on a high from a weekend full of love and happiness?
I hope so…
Because I’m about to completely obliterate that high.
For my Halloween special back in November (I would have done this on Halloween, but I was in Philadelphia for the World Series parade), I decided to count down the five scariest songs I possess in my collection. Some of these songs made the list for creating a spooky atmosphere. Other songs are here for their lyrical concepts. And there might be one or two that are able to effectively combine the two. Brace yourselves, everyone.
February 19, 2009 | Categories: Music, top 5 | Tags: Amnesiac, Aphex Twin, Chris Cunningham, Chuck Klosterman, closet monsters, drowning, eating souls, flannel shorts, Halloween, Last Plane To Jakarta, Metallica, Michael Jackson, Queens Of The Stone Age, Radiohead, Rubber Johnny, scary songs, slasher movies, Slayer, The Amazing Sounds Of Your Worst Fucking Nightmares, The Green Mile, The Lion King, Thriller, top 5, Vincent Price | 6 Comments
Here’s the playlist for my Nov. 7, 2008 show on WMUC2. Originally this playlist was supposed to air on Halloween, but then the Phillies had to go and win the World Series and have the parade on Halloween. And I wasn’t missing that for the world — it was the first time I’d ever seen any of my teams win anything. So rather than scrap the “Halloween special” idea, I decided to just do it a week late. Hey, if The Simpsons can get away with a late Halloween special every year, then so can I!
1. High On Fire, “Devilution” (Blessed Black Wings)
2. Early Man, “Death Is The Answer” (Closing In)
3. Rancid, “Ghost Band” (Indestructible)
4. Vampire Weekend, “A-Punk” (Vampire Weekend)
5. Bloc Party, “Hunting For Witches” (A Weekend In The City)
6. The Beatles, “Helter Skelter” (The White Album)
7. The Clash, “Four Horsemen” (London Calling)
8. TV On The Radio, “Wolf Like Me” (Return To Cookie Mountain)
9. Baroness, “The Birthing” (Red Album)
10. Black Sabbath, “Paranoid” (Paranoid)
11. Warren Zevon, “Warewolves Of London” (Excitable Boy)
12. Garbage, “#1 Crush” (‘Romeo + Juliet’ Soundtrack)
13. At The Drive-In, “Sleepwalk Capsules” (Relationship Of Command)
14. Iron Maiden, “Run To The Hills” (The Number Of The Beast)
15. Incubus, “Rogues” (Light Grenades)
16. Interpol, “Evil” (Antics)
17. Kings Of Leon, “Black Thumbnail” (Because Of The Times)
18. Probot, “Shake Your Blood” (Probot)
19. Muse, “Hyper Music” (Origin Of Symmetry)
20. Mastodon, “March Of The Fire Ants” (Remission)
21. Opeth, “The Lotus Eater” (Watershed)
22. Queens Of The Stone Age, “Mosquito Song” (Songs For The Deaf)
23. Metallica, “Ride The Lightning” (Ride The Lightning)
24. Radiohead, “The Amazing Sounds Of Orgy” (“Pyramid Song” single)
25. Aphex Twin, “Come To Daddy” (Come To Daddy)
26. Slayer, “Raining Blood” (Reign In Blood)
January 31, 2009 | Categories: Music, Show Playlist | Tags: Aphex Twin, At The Drive-In, Baroness, Black Sabbath, Bloc Party, Early Man, Garbage, Halloween, High On Fire, Incubus, Interpol, Iron Maiden, Kings Of Leon, Mastodon, Metallica, Muse, Opeth, playlist, Probot, Queens Of The Stone Age, Radiohead, Rancid, Slayer, The Beatles, The Clash, TV On The Radio, Vampire Weekend, Warren Zevon, WMUC2 | Leave a comment