Yeah, that’s right. This is now a classical music blog! And we’re going to start this new era of blogging by celebrating the life, music, and all-around awesomeness of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, one of the greatest child prodigies ever known to man. The guy had such a good ear for music that by the time he was, like, five years old he could listen to someone play a piece on the harpsichord and then sit down and play it himself note for note. That’s pretty remarkable talent, man.
Plus, you know a classical composer is awesome when he’s got movies, ’80s one-hit wonders, and Simpsons parodies of said ’80s one-hit wonders inspired by his greatness.
I LOVE YOU, DOCTOR ZAIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Okay, so I’m not actually going to start writing about classical music on this blog. It’s still the same rock/indie/metal/etc. blog as always. I’m just in a goofy mood at the moment. Not that you’d know this from looking at me, because I am sitting alone in my apartment on a Saturday night typing all this while the rest of the world is having fun without me. I’m 23 years old and I’ve already apparently forgotten what it’s like to be young… or maybe I just don’t feel like cramming into bars that are already so stuffed with people that I can’t get from point A to point B without taking a detour through points C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z, not necessarily in that order and also allowing for possible repeats.
And yes, I only named all the letters between C and Z for additional effect. Just be glad I didn’t start getting into the Greek alphabet, or all those letters Dr. Seuss made up in On Beyond Zebra.
Anyway, now that I’ve gotten my little mini-rant about the College Park bar scene off my chest, it’s time for my not-so-weekly Picks Of The Week! You can find them all after the jump.
Look everyone! I’m still alive, and I haven’t completely forgotten about this blog!
Sorry I’ve gone an eternity or two (closer to two at this point) without updating anything. I’ve kind of been busy — papers to write, midterms to prepare for… you know, college stuff. As a result, I haven’t really been in the mood to write much lately. College would be so much better without all that crap, wouldn’t you agree? (And yes, I know that would completely defeat the purpose of college. This does not change the fact that midterms and essays suck ass.)
Anyway, my birthday was a few weeks ago and I turned — gulp — 23. (My youth is all but officially over and I don’t even feel like it’s started yet. Can I get a do-over on this whole “life” thing? No? Well, that sucks.) I got some presents — as of September 27, 2009, I officially became multi-instrumental when I got a bass guitar — and some money to spend. Which means it’s time for another Colin’s Collection post! Yay!
All the albums I’ve recently added to my collection can be found after the jump. Check it out! THAT’S AN ORDER, DAMMIT!
By now everyone knows about Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday, right? Right. Seriously, man… just when you think Kanye can’t be any more of a douchebag, he finds a way to out-douche himself. Taylor Swift went from looking like she’d just seen the world’s cutest puppy dog (after hearing them announce her name) to looking like she was about to burst into tears right there on the stage (after Kanye did his thing).
But fear not, Miss Swift, for the entire Internet has seen fit to avenge you by tearing the asshole a new asshole. The result is I’mma Let You Finish, which has yielded some pretty hilarious results (and some not-so-hilarious results involving 9/11 and the recently departed Patrick Swayze). I’ve been having some fun with this one over the past few days. The fruits of my madness after the jump!
I know what you’re thinking. “Hey, what the hell is this? Two 9/11 posts in a row? Wasn’t this blog supposed to be about music or something?” Well, don’t you worry your pretty little heads. This is a totally different kind of post relating to 9/11. I did my first show of the fall semester yesterday, and here’s the playlist…
1. Bloc Party, “The Marshals Are Dead” (Silent Alarm B-sides)
2. Cave In, “Come Into Your Own” (Tides Of Tomorrow EP)
3. Spoon, “The Way We Get By” (Kill The Moonlight)
4. Band Of Horses, “Weed Party” (Everything All The Time)
5. Pavement, “You Are A Light” (Terror Twilight)
6. Radiohead, “These Are My Twisted Words” (Wall Of Ice EP — just kidding, it’s a single)
7. Blur, “M.O.R.” (Blur)
8. Arctic Monkeys, “When The Sun Goes Down” (Whatever People Say I Am, That’s What I’m Not)
9. The Fall Of Troy, “I Just Got This Symphony Goin'” (Doppelganger)
10. Titus Andronicus, “My Time Outside The Womb” (The Airing Of Grievances)
11. Green Day, “Murder City” (21st Century Breakdown)
12. Minus The Bear, “Memphis & 53rd” (Menos El Oso)
13. My Morning Jacket, “What A Wonderful Man” (Z)
14. The National, “Available” (Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers)
15. RX Bandits, “One Million Miles An Hour, Fast Asleep” (…And The Battle Begun)
16. Dead Confederate, “Shadow The Walls” (Dead Confederate EP)
17. Queens Of The Stone Age, “Tangled Up In Plaid” (Lullabies To Paralyze)
18. Kings Of Leon, “Soft” (Aha Shake Heartbreak)
19. Radiohead, “Subterranean Homesick Alien” (OK Computer)
20. Nirvana, “Stay Away” (Nevermind)
21. British Sea Power, “Trip Out” (Do You Like Rock Music?)
22. White Rabbits, “Percussion Gun” (It’s Frightening)
23. Green Day, “21 Guns” (21st Century Breakdown)
24. Muse, “Uprising” (The Resistance)
25. Silversun Pickups, “Panic Switch” (Swoon)
26. Thom Yorke, “The Present Tense” (live @ Latitude Festival)
27. Grizzly Bear, “Two Weeks” (Veckatimest)
28. The Beatles, “Taxman” (Revolver) — played to fill dead air
Well, that covers it for my first show of my last semester here at the University of Maryland. As always, keep tuning in every Friday from 4-6 p.m. on WMUC2 and keep watching this space for more updates and fun stuff.
Hey everyone! It’s time once again for a new installment in my not-quite-weekly Picks Of The Week feature, as well as a teaser paragraph or two about what I’ve been up to lately or some sort of mini-rant which has little to nothing to do with any of the songs featured in this post. I just like to pretend that people care.
Here it is, the last week of summer, a season that appears to last a long time in the beginning and proves to be way way way too short. By this time next week, I will be back in College Park, Maryland, preparing to begin my final semester of college. You know that saying “time flies when you’re having fun”? Yeah, whoever made that up is full of crap. Time flies whether or not you’re having fun. That’s why it’s always been my belief that you should spend as much time having fun as you possibly can, which in turn explains why I put things off a lot. Now if I could just stop being so damn socially awkward, I would be able to more competently follow my own philosophy.
Anyway, I look forward to one more semester of bringing my favorite music to your ears. But for now, here’s a short list of songs I’ve really been digging lately… after the jump, of course.