April 24, 2009: Show #19
Hey everyone! I’ve finally returned to the blogosphere. My exams have all been taken, my papers have all been written, and an entire apartment’s worth of my stuff has been crammed into an SUV and driven back to Pennsylvania. I’m still not entirely sure how we pulled that last part off. Apparently the Ford Freestyle has more cargo room than I’ve ever given it credit for. Either that, or my mom’s a packing genius. I think I’ll go with a little of column A and a little of column B.
So on to the next playlist post! And hoo boy, do I remember this show well. This aired during a time when my computer had been all screwed up and I was relying mainly on YouTube (with some help from Myspace and Last.fm and the like) to do my shows. On April 24, 2009, I realized why relying on YouTube can result in total disaster. Stuff was taking too long to load and then there would be additional sound effects in the videos that I didn’t want being played. But as much as I’d like to give this show the Wayside School treatment — there is no 19th story in Wayside School and no 19th Listen Up! show — I can’t pretend it didn’t happen. Here’s the playlist from that show, and thankfully things went much more smoothly with subsequent shows.
1. Green Day, “Know Your Enemy” (21st Century Breakdown)
2. Blur, “Parklife” (Parklife)
3. Weezer, “Possibilities” (Maladroit)
4. Jupiter One, “Countdown” (Jupiter One)
5. Queens Of The Stone Age, “3’s & 7’s” (Era Vulgaris)
6. The Sword, “Iron Swan” (Age Of Winters)
7. High On Fire, “Waste Of Tiamat” (Death Is This Communion)
8. Between The Buried And Me, “Viridian” (Colors)
9. Metallica, “Whiplash” (live in Athens, Greece — originally on Kill ‘Em All)
10. Fierce Allegiance, “No Way Out” (The Meaning Of Sacrifice)
11. Mastodon, “Aqua Dementia” (Leviathan)
12. Radiohead, “Knives Out” (Amnesiac) — dammit, I forgot to play my cell phone ringtone on the air that day. With the help of Audacity, I made the first 20 seconds of “Knives Out” my custom ringtone. My text message alert, in case you’re curious, is the end of the Beatles’ “Helter Skelter” with Ringo Starr yelling, “I’VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!”
13. Rancid, “Time Bomb” (…And Out Come The Wolves)
14. Deerhunter, “Agoraphobia” (Microcastle)
15. Thrice, “Image Of The Invisible” (Vheissu)
16. Solar Powered Sun Destroyer, “Some Assembly Required” (live on WMUC Third Rail Radio 4/19/09, originally on Intromission EP)
17. Interpol, “The Heinrich Maneuver” (Our Love To Admire)
18. Bloc Party, “Mercury” (Intimacy)
19. The National, “Brainy” (Boxer)
20. My Morning Jacket, “Evil Urges” (Evil Urges)
21. Kings Of Leon, “Taper Jean Girl” (Aha Shake Heartbreak)
22. The Hold Steady, “Stuck Between Stations” (Boys And Girls In America)
23. Muse, “Starlight” (Black Holes & Revelations)
24. Foo Fighters, “All My Life” (One By One)
25. Radiohead, “2+2 = 5 (The Lukewarm)” (Hail To The Thief)
26. Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (Nevermind)
So what was the real lesson? If you rely on your computer to do your radio shows, God help you if it gets a virus and stops working. Also, don’t leave things in the fridge. And as always, join my Facebook group if you’ve got an account and keep watching this space.
This entry was posted on May 24, 2009 by colfrat. It was filed under Music, Show Playlist, WMUC and was tagged with Between The Buried And Me, Bloc Party, Blur, Cowboy Bebop, custom ringtones, Deerhunter, Fierce Allegiance, Foo Fighters, Green Day, High On Fire, Interpol, Jupiter One, Kings Of Leon, Mastodon, Metallica, Muse, My Morning Jacket, Nirvana, no #19, playlist, Queens Of The Stone Age, Radiohead, Rancid, Solar Powered Sun Destroyer, The Beatles, The Hold Steady, The National, The Sword, Thrice, Wayside School, Weezer, WMUC2, YouTube.